Rainy weather speaker question

Want to talk about bass rigs? This is the folder for you.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

RipVanDan

Rainy weather speaker question

Postby RipVanDan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 am

I played at a door-closing party for the Dreadnought in Monroe, WA Saturday night. Like many small businesses, Covid-19 has put them out of business. It's a really small brew pub and we hosted Open Mic Fridays there at least 3 and sometimes 5 Fridays a month for about 3-years. Was always an early evening, from 7PM until 10PM. The inside is small enough that I used a single Eden EX-112 cab with an Eden TN-226 and that worked fine. I rolled in my DNS-410 the first night I played there and the owner's eyes got as big as dollars. He said that was way too big and made me use a Peavey 112 combo. Outdoors was another thing entirely though and I've used my DNS-410 a couple of times there.

We played under a couple of canopies. Was supposed to mist in the morning - what we call "Washington Sunshine" and then clear up in the afternoon. Well we started set up at 3, so we could have time to relax and eat a free sandwich before our scheduled start at 5. We were scheduled to played from 5 to 9 PM and it actually went on until 9:30. It was misting when we set up. We set up on one side of the parking lot taking up about 3 or 4 car spaces (whatever 20-ft. takes up). The customers were across the parking lot from us in a roped-in area in front of the brew pub and they had seating inside too. We had a lot of our regular followers show up and it was great night.

It started raining pretty hard about 3-hours into it though and I started getting worried about equipment. I had my amp and cab set up a couple of feet from the back and a couple of feet from the edge of stage right (audience left). I had a monitor in front of me and it was getting some light misty drops on it. I pulled out my rain jacket and draped it over the top, back, and sides of the monitor to help protect it.

And of course, that made me a bit apprehensive about the speakers in my cab. It never did get rain directly on it but I was wondering it the obviously high humidity might have a bad effect on them. Seems to me back in the 60's (I know...a long, long, time ago) I played in a similar situation only with heavier rain in California and we draped some towels over the front of our speaker cabs to protect the speakers. Didn't do anything like that here and was just wondering if there is anything that should be done if I run into the situation again. Speakers do have paper cones, and water swells paper. Am I just being paranoid or is there something in the manufacturing of these that would help protect them?...
Rip Van Dan
Love those David Nordschow designs!
Amps: Eden WT500/800 (signature model!), Eden Nemesis RS400, Eden TN226
Cabs: DNS-410-8, DNS-210-8, two each Eden EX112-4
Basses: 1982 Fender Jazz (MIA), 2009 Rogue LX405 Pro (surprisingly good 5-string)

TobiasMan

Re: Rainy weather speaker question

Postby TobiasMan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:02 pm

I've played in the rain, but never in a circumstance where the moisture was getting onto my cab(s).

Probably couldn't drape them with plastic if you were still playing. Were your power supplies all protected from the wet!!!!
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (2 Navs, QSC PL230, Eden WT500, XLT & XST 410s, 215)
Eden WTP Pre amp and PEDL 70007, QSC PLX 3102

RipVanDan

Re: Rainy weather speaker question

Postby RipVanDan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:26 pm

The cords got wet but not the receptacles themselves. Everyone was actually watching those pretty closely because that would be disaster. Add to that the fact that we were using two generators to power everything. I was worried about the power supply being constant enough to work well, but that part went off without a hitch.

My amp did stop working at one point, which was pretty scary. Checked my wireless first and it was good. All the normal lights were on with the amp and I was only running the master at 9:30 so the protection circuits shouldn't be cutting in. Nonetheless, I turned the amp off, waited for the DC to bleed off and turned it back on, just in case it was a protect circuit that went.

Still nothing, so looked at the back and the power cable was fine, but the darn banana plugs was mostly out and the back was tilted down. Pushed it back in and all was well again. Since I'll probably never need to run cabs in series, there's really no advantage at all to using banana plugs. Wish that info from the Eden forum was still around. I'd be sorely tempted to replace those banana plugs with Speakons.
Rip Van Dan
Love those David Nordschow designs!
Amps: Eden WT500/800 (signature model!), Eden Nemesis RS400, Eden TN226
Cabs: DNS-410-8, DNS-210-8, two each Eden EX112-4
Basses: 1982 Fender Jazz (MIA), 2009 Rogue LX405 Pro (surprisingly good 5-string)

Return to “Amps and Speaker Cabs”