Just ordered a DNA-800!

Want to talk about bass rigs? This is the folder for you.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

rinos88

Re: Just ordered a DNA-800!

Postby rinos88 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Crank the gain all the way on the DNA and both compressor knobs at noon. It gets a really nice, warm growl. Not buzzy, but warm and gritty.
DNA 1350 and 410-4: Why settle for really good tone when you can have the best?

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/warhammer1

kevor

Postby kevor » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:25 pm

So, cuz I am enjoying the new amp tremendously and I have tendencies to get really nerdy about this stuff, here are the links to 2 videos I have taken showcasing my use of the DNA-800. The first one is the live video of the Big E gig I did last weekend. The video is one long shot of my rig because I thought of filming at the last minute and I really just wanted to capture the audio of the bass more than anything else.

The second video is me in my 'studio' room playing my Lakland Fender precision copy through the DNA to get a sense of how a passive bass might sound.

Links:
https://youtu.be/7Gu-V11iaUE
https://youtu.be/2FNIQLoavHI

I am most proud of my fashion choices in the 2nd video.

On a separate nerdy note, I took the DNA-800 for a spin last night with the five piece band I regularly play with. I was curious to see how the DNA-800 would hold up because the band is significantly louder than the trio I played with last week. We played two sets.

The band consists of an acoustic guitarist/singer, a keyboardist/singer, a drummer/singer, myself, and a saxophonist. Music is mostly classic singer/songwriter stuff from the '60's/'70's/'80's with a healthy dose of Grateful Dead. The PA is reserved for everything except the bass and drums. Monitors are positioned as side fills at head height, and they are loud, so I was going to be driving the DNA pretty hard to keep up.

The first set was rough for me. I had the DNA with the low-mid at about 10:00, the shape at about 9:00, and the volume between 12:00 and 1:00. The cabs were positioned horizontally below me and came up to my hips (they were on a cart), which I knew would probably be a mistake, but I was being a bit lazy. I was playing harder than usual to hear myself and I felt I was getting lost in the mix. If I stepped out a few feet the blend was actually very nice but the set level on the gain was lighting constantly. Eventually, I nudged the low-miss to just shy of 12:00 and turned off the shape so I could hear myself, which helped immensely. I had the compressor on to see how that would work, but I would up turning that off as well. That's how I ended the first set.

At the set break, I rearranged my cabs to stand vertically so they came just shy of ear level on the cart and that did the trick for hearing myself, as I figured it would. I turned the low-mid control back down to 10:00, put the shape at around 8:00 and had a much better second set where I wasn't pushing the amp nearly as hard with my playing. Still, it was a good gig, even if it was super cold for September (we were outside in a tent and the temperatures for the night started in the 50's and needed at around mid-40's F).

Thanks for paying attention to me as I ramble in positive way about these cabs. I wish there were more videos of the DNA in action so people could see how awesome these amps are!
Kevin O'Reilly
"I'm so cutting edge I fell off"
DNA-800, 2 DNA 112C, Warwick Corvette ProLine 5 (flame maple), Lakland Skyline 44-64, BOSS GT-10B, Digitech Jamman Solo

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:28 am

Your videos sound really good! Awesome review, too. I was really digging how well your chord work comes across through the rig.

Not sure if you've seen my videos of the DNA gear in action or not. If I remember right, the first two videos didn't have the 1350 yet. It was a BBE BMAX preamp, Crown power amp and the DNA 410-4. I think the 3rd video was my first show using the 1350.

https://youtu.be/jnjVzGaQTPk
https://youtu.be/6A4autcPTjw
https://youtu.be/V3GYTNEjVIc

kevor

Postby kevor » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:27 pm

Rinos88,

I think you are one of those players where I bow down and say "I'm not worthy"! You have mad skills as they say. I attempts to be a shredder and put out three CDs worth of stuff, and while they were good and had cool tunes, they showed that I was a simpleton compared to say, Micahel Manring, and Victor Wooten. I love your metal band! You have a great sound and your bass comes through pretty well despite the limitations of the video. You also sing in a way that I cannot, which is a shame, cuz my roots are in metal. Thanks for the kind words for my videos.
Kevin O'Reilly
DNA-800, 2 DNA 112C, Warwick Corvette ProLine 5 (flame maple), Lakland Skyline 44-64, BOSS GT-10B, Digitech Jamman Solo

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Wow! Thank you, good sir. :) You're definitely no slouch, yourself.

It's actually strange, but cool for me to be singing now. I tried so hard to find a singer that could actually do more than just scream like a demon with hemorrhoids. After finally giving get up last year, I just said 'Screw it! I'll try it, myself.'

Other than backing vocals and small, simple lead spots, I'd never really sang before last year at age 36.

RipVanDan

Postby RipVanDan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:00 am

Hey Kevin,

One of the problems with turning down the low-mids is that you can get lost in the mix when you do. The low-mids is what gives you the thump in the chest and helps define the sound of the bass in the mix. The drummer OWNS the lows (30Hz and lower range) with his kick bass drum and there is no way you are going to steal that from him. The guitars live in the high mids and treble ranges. The low-mids belong to you. That is why you tend to disappear rather quickly when you cut the low mids.

I actually cut my Bass EQ by a couple of notches and boost the low-mids (~250Hz) 2 to 3 clicks on my amp. Now my amp was an earlier David design call the Eden WT500/800 (David boosted my particular amp to 800 watts, thus the "/800"). Not sure if it's the same on the new DNA amps, but his Eden amps had that bass shelving control centered at 30Hz and boosting it tends to suck up a LOT of power and can muddy up the sound pretty well. So I don't boost it and actually cut it 2 or 3 clicks.

Also, the shape control scoops your sound. That is it boosts the lows and treble as well as upping the high mids a bit, but scoops the low mids. If you had a graphic EQ, that would look like a smile shape. The more you turn the shape up the deeper the smile gets and the more scooped it sounds. Now that scooped sound is really good at low levels such as practice in the bedroom because it is boosting the frequencies your ears don't pick up very well at low levels. But get that into a band at gig volumes and you'll run right into that same "disappearing in the mix" problem you ran into.

Another thing to consider is that room acoustics will change how you sound out front. If at all possible get 30-ft. out in front of your amp from time to time to get a good idea of what your audience is really hearing and EQ to sound good out there regardless of how it sounds on stage.
Rip Van Dan
Love those David Nordschow designs!
Amps: Eden WT500/800 (signature model!), Eden Nemesis RS400, Eden TN226
Cabs: DNS-410-8, DNS-210-8, two each Eden EX112-4
Basses: 1982 Fender Jazz (MIA), 2009 Rogue LX405 Pro (surprisingly good 5-string)

kevor

Postby kevor » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:09 pm

Rip,

Thanks for the reminder. I am aware of how low-mids shape bass tone. With the DNA-800, the low mids are centered around 500kh, so I drop them a bit (around 10:00) and add a touch of shape (around 8:00 or 9:00) to smooth out the sound a bit without losing the low-mids of 300kh or so. I also drop the bass control to about 11:00 which really takes out the mud. It works very well in the trio format. In the 5 piece, the biggest issue for me is the height of my amps because I am dealing with very loud side fills and the drums and bass have no PA support. As I said, most of my issue was simply hearing myself with my speakers at hip height and the side fills at ear level. Once I rearranged my rig, things were fine. The Warwick has jazz pups and I run the preamp flat with the occasional boost of the treble control (centered around 2kh) to give some edge if I need it.
Kevin O'Reilly

JMSRocketBass

Postby JMSRocketBass » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:33 am

Does the DNA-800 come with a carrying case and a foot switch?

Bassmann1968

Postby Bassmann1968 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi,
nope, no case or footswitch.
Rock on!
Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:25 pm

It just uses a standard 1/4 foot switch setup. Those are fairly inexpensive. As for a case, I'd recommend putting it in a rack case.

If you're thinking of getting one, you won't be disappointed.

Return to “Amps and Speaker Cabs”