DNA tone settings

Announcements, changes and updates... they're all here.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

smu573

DNA tone settings

Postby smu573 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:35 am

Hello brethren of the F clef.

I’ve finally started playing around with a DNA 800.

I’m loving the compressor and the lite weight of the amp. The amp can produce a very punchy tone.

I’m curious as to what settings people are using.
I miss the warmth of the tube preamp on my Eden WT1205, but I think I can warm the tone back up with the pre. I’m running an Avalon U5 in front of the input of he DNA800.

Bassmann1968

Re: DNA tone settings

Postby Bassmann1968 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:34 am

Hi Smu,
I do here more or less the same as with my Eden amps.
Start at a neutral position and adjust to a room with the EQ.
Tone change I do with the Shape button. The shape knob has a wider range than the Enhance.
Rock on!
Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:18 pm

I do a slight low mid cut, high mid boost and the low and high usually flat. I run my gain on full to get that slight break up.
DNA 1350 and 410-4: Why settle for really good tone when you can have the best?

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/warhammer1

firebass6

Postby firebass6 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:24 pm

So I was working in a studio this week and the mixing engineer was nice enough to spend quite a bit of time with me talking about mixing and sonic space of each instrument and so on. I noticed he was using a hi pass filter on the bass channel actually use to cut the low end off.Used all the time he said. In the playback it made a world of difference as to how the bass sat in the mix, and sounded great. He said he would want his bass amp to have that feature. We started playing with my 1350. I rarely use much of the shape control, much past 9 o’clock and the bass disappears live. But the bass control is centered around 30 hz so I rolled it back to about 10 o’clock and started boosting the shape control up 12, 1, 2, 3. O’clock,
My impression was this is the first time I ever really thought the enhance on my Eden or the shape control on my dna really contributed to my sound. I was able to dial in a lot of thickness with the shape control by backing off on the low bass control. I’m still experimenting, I’ve Always been a set flat and turn it up kinda guy. This might change that. I’d like to see more responses on this thread to hear about others experiences

TobiasMan

Postby TobiasMan » Tue May 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Interesting findings firebass
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, QSC PL230, WT500, XLT & XST 410s, 215)

RipVanDan

Postby RipVanDan » Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 pm

That high pass filter is used a lot in studios and some amps even have an adjustable one built in. The idea with it is that you can clean up and make a tighter bottom end by preventing those really low frequencies that just add rumble from being reproduced. It can also be used to keep the fundamental of the B string or E string from being reproduced.

Most cabs have a hard time reproducing those low fundamentals and very often if they reproduce them at all they are at -10db whereas the rest of the frequency range is +/-3db. Yet even without the fundamental, you still easily recognize those low notes because of the fundamental's 2nd and 3rd harmonics. Cutting those really low frequencies with a high pass filter often makes the low end sound much tighter. You can purchase them separately and put them in the signal chain before the power section (effects-in). Some folks will run them from a pedal board.

They are often used extensively in recording studios to add clarity to the mix. They typically have both High Pass Filters (HPF) and Low Pass Filters (LPF). If needed, they can use a LPF to block higher frequencies from a bass and HPF to block low frequencies (usually low-mids) from guitar so that each instrument ends up with its own sonic space in the mix. They have to be a bit careful when doing so or they run the risk of ending up with a thin mix, but when used judiciously it allows you to hear all of the instruments being used very well.
Rip Van Dan
Love those David Nordschow designs!
Amps: Eden WT500/800 (signature model!), Eden Nemesis RS400, Eden TN226
Cabs: DNS-410-8, DNS-210-8, two each Eden EX112-4
Basses: 1982 Fender Jazz (MIA), 2009 Rogue LX405 Pro (surprisingly good 5-string)

firebass6

Postby firebass6 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:59 pm

So Dan does the dna 1350 have a bilt in hpf? I noticed the spec on my 112 dna cab show 35 hz but doesn’t say -6, -10 ect. Im gonna experiment with it live just for the experience, another bassist in town has an old ampeg with a hpf on it he says it’s set at 80. The reason this interest me is that I use my Eq and compression to tame my low b at the expense of losing some fullness on my other strings live so I’m gonna try fattening up the over all sound and tame the low end. My old Eden head had more eq on it and I always rolled of on the bottom at 30-50 .

RipVanDan

Postby RipVanDan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Sorry firebass6, I just don't know. Armin is the moderator here and he may have more info on it or may be able to get more info directly from David, but I just don't know.

Dan
Rip Van Dan
Love those David Nordschow designs!
Amps: Eden WT500/800 (signature model!), Eden Nemesis RS400, Eden TN226
Cabs: DNS-410-8, DNS-210-8, two each Eden EX112-4
Basses: 1982 Fender Jazz (MIA), 2009 Rogue LX405 Pro (surprisingly good 5-string)

Bassmann1968

Postby Bassmann1968 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:41 am

Hi,
there are low slope filters in the design.
At around 36 Hz down and 14 kHz up.
Rock on!
Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

Return to “Announcements”