NEW HELIX 1200

Announcements, changes and updates... they're all here.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Re: NEW HELIX 1200

Postby Bassmann1968 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:39 am

At 4 Ohm.
Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:05 pm

RipVanDan wrote:
TOM wrote:
ProDigit wrote:Any idea if this is the big boy, or the middle brother?

I suppose this is the middle brother !!! The big boy!!! is 2x1200 stereo or brigde 2400 with balance control

You know, that would be SCARY...It would be COOL, but Scary. Perfect way to run a 410 and perhaps 2 x 12's, or just two 410's

Dan

Perhaps this is only the baby; imagine ? :D

MTNbass72

Postby MTNbass72 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 pm

jmcgliss wrote:
MTNbass72 wrote:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Great looking little combination,Glad it was pictured with the DNS112.
Seriously thinking of getting a couple and the Helix to...Well, not to replace my 2-112xlt's and wtx500 or wtx260
But take their place on the stage at my church gig,and bring the other mentioned rig home. :think: :think: :think:
My church and band mates would hate me,but it would be soooo much fun. :twisted: :twisted: :D

Yes, the escalation factor must be considered...then buy them anyway. :D For half my gigs this summer, I brought just one DNS-112N (6-piece band, golf course patio for 150-200 people) and it slammed. Why? The DNA cabs break in nicely, yielding some extra low end extension according to David. When I used a pair (underpowered by an Eden WT405), 810 and 610 users were transfixed all evening at how this deceptively small rig was kicking butt at an outdoor gig with the ambient noise of a rodeo outside the tent. Seriously good! Deliciously better! :dance:

This makes me giddy like a school girl :dance: :dance:
You mean to tell me that even when UNDERPOWERING these cabs they had 810 & 610 users standing in disbelief. :clap: :clap:
So with that being said, I could actualy pair a couple of these with my wtx500 and rattle the foundation. :pray: :pray: Oh, if that's the case my GAS just stirred REALLY badly ;)
Any input on this would be super appreciated. --Robert

Bassmann1968

Postby Bassmann1968 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:41 am

RipVanDan wrote:
TOM wrote:
ProDigit wrote:Any idea if this is the big boy, or the middle brother?

I suppose this is the middle brother !!! The big boy!!! is 2x1200 stereo or brigde 2400 with balance control

You know, that would be SCARY...It would be COOL, but Scary. Perfect way to run a 410 and perhaps 2 x 12's, or just two 410's

Dan

There will be bigger and smaller amps.
Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

Bassmann1968

Postby Bassmann1968 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:52 am

MTNbass72 wrote:Any input on this would be super appreciated. --Robert

I usually use one DNS112 with the WTX260 for blues band practice and I can keep up with it.
Those speakers work really great.

For a bigger concert in a sport arena I used the 410 and 2 112th with 2kW. I did a sound check with my drummer.
After 5 minutes the drummer just got up and left the hall. I followed him and asked what is wrong, he stood there smilling and said he were just checking for cracks on the outside of the building :D
Armin

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

jmcgliss

Postby jmcgliss » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:44 pm

MTNbass72 wrote: Any input on this would be super appreciated. --Robert

Yes, it is true my compact pair of DNS-112's drew that level of respect, amidst a noisy rodeo. The WT405 was probably not pumping at full power since we had long runs to the power source on a hot day. Plus, we're a vocal band so I usually pull back enough to not bleed into the mics. There was a LOT more in the rig than I needed at any gig last summer, whether I chose to use one or two cabinets. Now, for some guys they WILL need a 410...but you'll find reports on this forum how a DNS-410 can make other brands of 810s and 610s obsolete.

More examples: In June I brought one DNS-112N to an audition for a 5-piece classic rock band. The drummer was pretty loud on an amplified electronic kit. It was less than 30 seconds into the first tune and the drummer and leader on guitar were grinning. We finished the tune and they were raving about never having heard a bass sound that good. The bass was a garden variety home-built P-bass (OK, I do good work, but still...). I literally passed that audtion in seconds thanks to David's cab. Can' remember if I had the WT405 or WTX260 that day, but running in 8 ohms either amp was running at half power.

Then there was the DNS-115N (protoype) on a large outdoor festival stage, powered by a bridged WT800 (master volume between 9 and 10 'clock) with a 6-piece motown/soul band. I was warming up on Jazz bass and P-bass before they hooked me into the PA and while the crowd was arriving. A bassist friend raved about how righteous is sounded as they were walking from the parking lot 300-400 yards away. And I was barely getting into the power band. The tone was just solid, killer David tone if you know what I mean. Minutes later another guy was at the front of the stage asking I gave lessons...and believe me I do not project "bass camp chops wizard" with my playing!

Your GAS would not be unfounded!
Jeff C

Original DNA Test Subject
The DNA 1350 SLAMS!!
Cabinets" 2 DNA DNS-112N/8 | DNS-115N/8
Amps: DNA 800 | Eden WT800C | Eden WT405

MTNbass72

Postby MTNbass72 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 pm

WOW!! Thanks for that breakdown jmcgliss. I truely appreciate it. I'm sold. :D :D
It might take me a while but two of these cabs will be my next purchase.
Everything I read about them is just MORE icing on the cake. I could use just one at church, one at home and then when the pavement needs to be broken up a little bit I can use both. :P :P With no worries at all.
I do remember just a couple of months back, our praise band was going to do a gig outside and I was worried 'cause at the time all I had was my 2-112xlt's and the wtx260. I knew that wouldn't be loud enough for outside. Well, the gig didn't happen so no biggie.
Point being, now I have my wtx500 and coupled with two of these babies I think it would be the perfect lightweight,powerful rig. Even for outdoors,thanks to what you've told me. I'm not even worried about missing the mid-bump I like so much. It can be handled with some EQing.
I remember posting on the The Founders previous site "future owner" Well now I'm sayin' it here...Future owner of two 112DNS. And possibly in the FAR future a Helix to go with them. :dance: :dance: :D :clap: :clap:
Thanks again guys--Robert

jmcgliss

Postby jmcgliss » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:59 am

Robert, a friend is using a WTX500 and Eden D212XLT with a strong 7 or 8 piece horn band. The do mostly outdoor festivals with PA support. He has one of the best sounding bass rigs I've heard in a long time and it sits just right in the mix. The beauty of the DNS cabs is they do not require massive power to sound great. But of course a Helix 1200 will be a must-have as soon as its fiscally possible! I am getting to old for heavy iron and bulky rack cases.
Jeff C

The DNA 1350 SLAMS!!

MTNbass72

Postby MTNbass72 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:19 pm

jmcgliss wrote:Robert, a friend is using a WTX500 and Eden D212XLT with a strong 7 or 8 piece horn band. The do mostly outdoor festivals with PA support. He has one of the best sounding bass rigs I've heard in a long time and it sits just right in the mix. The beauty of the DNS cabs is they do not require massive power to sound great. But of course a Helix 1200 will be a must-have as soon as its fiscally possible! I am getting to old for heavy iron and bulky rack cases.

Yeah, I remember reading that. It might have been in The Founders previous forum. At the time we were "going" to do the outdoor gig,all I had was the 2-112xlt's and my wtx260. The only PA we would have had would have been for vocals. Plus keyboard/piano, two and sometimes three LOUD guitars,and a very heavy handed teenage drummer to compete with . So I knew it wouldn't have been enough juice. Now I at least have the wtx500.
I started digging through some older threads on here and found several the you posted about the DNS112's and i'm still blown away by the thought of these cabs. Specificaly the one where you got a gig using just one and your wt405 all within about 30 seconds of starting the first song. :clap: :clap:
I will gladly trade both of my 112xlt's for just one of the DNS112's and then when time and funds permit add a second one. That's how i got my present rig, one piece at a time well the 260 and one cab then added the second later and I just lucked into the wtx500 for and unbelievable price . I'm a patient man so no biggie on waiting.
I will own DNS cabs. :D :D

jmcgliss

Postby jmcgliss » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:18 am

Patience is a virtue. I've gradullay traded up to better gear over the years. It helps that quality gear holds its value fairly well. :clap:
Jeff C

The DNA 1350 SLAMS!!

Return to “Announcements”