DNA at the 4/22/11 show at Bobby McGee's

Gig reports, reviews, and tour updates about your own band or those you follow. Do NOT announce your gig dates here. Do that in the Post Your Next Gig folder.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

rinos88

DNA at the 4/22/11 show at Bobby McGee's

Postby rinos88 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm sure y'all are waiting to hear how the gig went. I'll just say that it was both great and horrible at the same time.

First, the bad: We get there and are having a horrible time finding outlets to plug into. Luckily we had extension cables and ingenuity on how to make them reach.
The sound board was only big enough to run our 5 vocals and I think maybe 1 or 2 on the drums.
After we get everything set up to the best of our abilities, the sound guy says "Ok guys. Sounds good. I've gotta take off. Adjust whatever you need to." :o

We start playing and notice that there was a bad connection on to the speaker on the left side of the stage, but couldn't fix it because it was suspended about 20 feet in the air. It would cut in and out several times in each song.

But, considering the bad..........we pulled it off with great results:

Now for the good stuff:

The club was divided into two sections. One side was where we were, then the other part was doing a HUGE rave/dance club thing. After the sound man told me to turn up my bass amp to power the room, I had the place thumping so hard that they could hear it over the bajillion watt system they had in the other room! This got the attention of the people there for the DJ and brought even more people into an already packed room.

The place stuffed in so tight for us that I'm sure we broke the fire code ordinance for the room by about 50 extra people or so. :shock:

After each song, people were screaming with excitement. Even during some of the song sections, we could hear the applause screaming back at us. It was strange but cool seeing the mix of long haired, Metal guys applauding as well as the sideways-hat and baggy jeans, rave people.

After the show, the owner said how amazed he was that we brought people in from the other side and would really love to have us back very soon, with more publicity and in the big room with the huge stage and real sound board.

Now, for the cab news: I had this puppy CRANKED! Torture tested to be more precise. :twisted:
What Lane said about the low end extending after several hours of playing was totally right. The word "BOOM!" hardly describes it. About 2 songs in, the cab really seemed as if it were right at that point of time where it happened. I actually had to go and turn down. That truly is the best that my bass tone has ever felt while I was playing. The tightness in the response was unmatched, smoothness and clarity, without any harshness and that overall 'feel' of how the speakers were pumping in perfect unison can't be put into words.

The output of this cab FAR outweighs it's size. In fact, now that it really opened up, I'd put my single 4x10 against a PAIR of any other brand's 8x10's on the market and bet that it would keep up. I really don't know how 'The Founder' does it, but he sure does it extremely well. 8-)
DNA 1350 and 410-4: Why settle for really good tone when you can have the best?

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/warhammer1

jmcgliss

Re: DNA at the 4/22/11 show at Bobby McGee's

Postby jmcgliss » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Great report, Terry. Isn't it great having that much control? I'm sure David will appreciate hearing your "live" report.
Jeff C

Original DNA Test Subject
The DNA 1350 SLAMS!!
Gigging with 2 DNA DNS-112N/8 (sometimes just 1)
WT800C | WT405 | WTX260
http://www.jcthebassman.com

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Yes, sir, it is! :D I had the control and the audience was in aural submission.

Funny thing is that about 3 songs in or so, some guy walks in that looks like David. I was like "Oh, crap! I really hope this show goes well now. I can't believe he's here!" The show actually does go great, then, after a little while, he comes closer and I realize it isn't him. Eh! :doh:

I'm determined that some day I shall meet him. When I was endorsing the previous brand, there was a get together for something with him that I was invited to, but I was out of the country, doing my missions work in Africa.

jmcgliss

Postby jmcgliss » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:37 pm

The cool part is that David knows his science when he designs in the lab. Right off the bench, his amps and cabs just totally control the room with a band. How does he do that, AND raise the bar higher with the DNA cabs? You all know David includes bass players during the testing...but his designs are pretty much 99% mind-blowing before that point.

I've experienced that feeling of control with a single DNS-115N on an outdoor festival stage, and a single or pair of DNS-112Ns. As you described, the DNS410 is just full of power...not crude loudness, but superb power. I've always thought certain 8x10 cabs were popular (ubiquitous) with bands because they don't allow the bass player to threaten the guitar players or drummers, you know? How often do you see an 810 on a stage and hear some bass, but it's not that controlled and authoritative, and definitely not full range? Your story proves there is something about a David rig that is totally in the zone. It sounds like you spread the love all over the joint!
Jeff C

Original DNA Test Subject
The DNA 1350 SLAMS!!
Gigging with 2 DNA DNS-112N/8 (sometimes just 1)
WT800C | WT405 | WTX260
http://www.jcthebassman.com

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:36 pm

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. There is a like an 'umph' all the way through the frequency range. My old 8x10 was definitely loud, but nowhere near the fidelity, warmth and power that this DNS410 has.

Even my other band members tell me that this cab is the best sounding bass cab that they've ever heard. I swear, I think David gets his technology from aliens or something. There is nothing on the market that can match these things at any price.

Return to “The Tour Bus”