The Reference Rhythm Method

If you want to talk about playing better bass, this is the place to do it. Open to all, teachers and students alike. Ask a question. Post a lesson article. Let's all learn together!

Moderator: Bassmann1968

User avatar
bassmayhem
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:18 am
Location: Sweden

The Reference Rhythm Method

Postby bassmayhem » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:06 pm

My old teacher from back in the 80's, Bengt "Mulle" Holmqvist, has released a completely new material in how to develop your rhythm skills in a new way. I ordered the material from his website, so I'll write a review in a while. Check it out. He is a real good guy and a fantastic guitarist. I have never even thought about playing rhythms like 11 over 7 before I read about his method.

Check: http://www.mulleholmqvist.se/

User avatar
jmcgliss
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: The Reference Rhythm Method

Postby jmcgliss » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Sounds cool. Tell us more!

I used play with a jazz marimba player/composer who often wrote pieces in one signature over another. Sometimes the bass part would shift time from the A to the B section; other times the bass would be in one t/s and the marimba in another. His melodies were Zappa-esque in that we would crack up in laughter playing them. It was a blast, especially on fretless. Not sure wheher it was the U.K. or Amsterdam that made him a time geek. :ugeek:
Jeff C

Original DNA Test Subject
The DNA 1350 SLAMS!!
Gigging with 2 DNA DNS-112N/8 (sometimes just 1)
WT800C | WT405 | WTX260
http://www.jcthebassman.com

User avatar
ProDigit
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:58 am
Location: Florida

Re: The Reference Rhythm Method

Postby ProDigit » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:24 am

at times on some great jazz gigs, bassists dare to repeat their bass lines 1 beat or measure too late, or too early. it gives a different sound to the song!

I usually only play 4/4 rythms, but at times I also play 3/4 rythms (or triads) .

TobiasMan
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Re: The Reference Rhythm Method

Postby TobiasMan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:20 am

ProDigit wrote:at times on some great jazz gigs, bassists dare to repeat their bass lines 1 beat or measure too late, or too early. it gives a different sound to the song! . . .


I've been known to do that on occasion - but not in jazz gigs . . . :oops:

. . . usually someone in the band quickly points out the error of my ways :naughty:
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

User avatar
rinos88
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: Marquette Heights, Illinois-USA...Earth

Re: The Reference Rhythm Method

Postby rinos88 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:23 pm

I really love teachers like that who think outside of the box. Great post!

Believe it or not, I found a bass player years back that was playing a song where he was intentionally playing a half step lower than the eerie guitar line over top of it. To my limited theoretical knowledge, it didn't make sense, but was really wicked sounding.

I tried the same type of thing, but with disasterous results. :?
DNA 1350 and 410-4: Why settle for really good tone when you can have the best?

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/warhammer1

User avatar
RipVanDan
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:47 am
Location: Duvall, WA

Re: The Reference Rhythm Method

Postby RipVanDan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:26 pm

rinos88 wrote:I really love teachers like that who think outside of the box. Great post!

Believe it or not, I found a bass player years back that was playing a song where he was intentionally playing a half step lower than the eerie guitar line over top of it. To my limited theoretical knowledge, it didn't make sense, but was really wicked sounding.

I tried the same type of thing, but with disasterous results. :?


Part of the trick on playing those really dissonant minor seconds is to know when and how to resolve them. The dissonance sets up the tension and the resolution releases it. Stravinsky was one of the first and best composers using prolonged dissonance and making it sound "right", as opposed to "what the Hell is that?" It's really tough to do well.

Dan

User avatar
bassmayhem
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:18 am
Location: Sweden

Re: The Reference Rhythm Method

Postby bassmayhem » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Just got the DVD and book. Quite ingenious, actually. The guy makes everything so simple. It is just a matter of taking in and be a good student. No shortcuts, do your homework. "Mulle" is the man...

User avatar
rinos88
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: Marquette Heights, Illinois-USA...Earth

Re: The Reference Rhythm Method

Postby rinos88 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:52 pm

RipVanDan wrote:
rinos88 wrote:I really love teachers like that who think outside of the box. Great post!

Believe it or not, I found a bass player years back that was playing a song where he was intentionally playing a half step lower than the eerie guitar line over top of it. To my limited theoretical knowledge, it didn't make sense, but was really wicked sounding.

I tried the same type of thing, but with disasterous results. :?


Part of the trick on playing those really dissonant minor seconds is to know when and how to resolve them. The dissonance sets up the tension and the resolution releases it. Stravinsky was one of the first and best composers using prolonged dissonance and making it sound "right", as opposed to "what the Hell is that?" It's really tough to do well.

Dan



Hmm..... The resolve could be the reason that I couldn't make it work for me.
DNA 1350 and 410-4: Why settle for really good tone when you can have the best?

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/warhammer1


Return to “The Learning Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest