Mayhem in church...

Tell everyone where you're playing. You never know who will show up.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

overdog

Re: Mayhem in church...

Postby overdog » Wed May 19, 2010 2:48 pm

Another Tuba player!

I knew there was a reason for the quality of your posts and conversations! :D

So what do you have, and in what key?

My old ax was a Miraphone 186 BB. Beautiful horn. I tried to change to a CC, but could not deal with the transition from a B flat horn to a C horn as I was also playing bass trombone. I stopped playing when I was in the military. There was no place to keep my horns. I traveled around, changing countries from 6 months to 2 years. Embassy and Consoliate duties working in the intelligence community. I sold my Miraphone for about 800 USD. Today that is over 8,000 USD. I sold my two bass trombones for about 600 each, and to replace them would cost me well over 5,500 USD. Ouch!

So now all I do is thump....
- John

If you buy it right the first time, you have nothing to be ashamed of!

Bass: Roscoe SKB 3005 - Sculpted quilt maple top on a swamp ash body. Tobaccoburst finish. 35" scale 24 fret maple neck. Bartolini pickups & 3 band preamp.

Bassmann1968

Postby Bassmann1968 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:12 pm

I play two tubas.
One for loud polka kind of stuff, it sounds like a tuba but you can play it like a trombone.
It's not that expensiv. Weril J680 in silver.
The other is a B&S concert tuba. Both in Bb.
Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

overdog

Postby overdog » Wed May 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Beautiful! The B&S is a fantastic instrument!

I have a few friends that have Alexanders. Now those are breath taking!

For the thumpers that do not know, an unlacquered silver brass instrument will have a very crisp and clear sound. When you put lacquer on it, the lacquer will make it sound a bit dull. My jazz bass trombone had the lacquer stripped off to make it bright.

There is a balance between the type of brass, coating, and lacquer (or not) has a huge impact on the sound of the instrument. As in a bass, the wood, electronics, and strings have a huge impact on the sound.
- John

Bass: Roscoe SKB 3005 - Sculpted quilt maple top on a swamp ash body. Tobaccoburst finish. 35" scale 24 fret maple neck. Bartolini pickups & 3 band preamp.

Bassmann1968

Postby Bassmann1968 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Hehe,
the bass trombone player from my big band plays a Bach for $15000. Silver no lacquer.
Damn bright. Loud, louder, Micheal with his Bach.

The trombone on the right side:

Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

overdog

Postby overdog » Wed May 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Sweet!

It was either getting an Edwards custom bass bone (a fully modular instrument, able to have single bore or dual bore slide, many different bells, etc) or get a good bass guitar.

So I got my Roscoe. Here in the states, it is really difficult to find a jazz or swing band to play in. Very hard. Easy to find a rock, praise, jazz, or country band to play bass in. So that was a easy answer to the question: to focus on the bass bone or on the bass guitar.

I really miss playing bass trombone in a swing band. I did a lot of playing on my old King Duo Gravis (6B) when I was young.
- west coast tour of "A Chorus Line"
- west coast tour of "Jesus Christ Superstar"
- west coast tour of "West Side Story"
- Recorded "Live at the Hollywood Bowl with Chuck Magione"
- Recorded "At's a Plenty" with the Pointer Sisters

My competition were my friends, and some that I also studies under. I got the table scraps.

Life goes on!
- John

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Just a question for you church cathedral players,
how do you deal with the reverb?
I presume you use a bass rig more mid oriented?
I had a hard time playing in a church in Leuven (the building on the right) where I had the privilege to play trice!

The reverb was so bad, I actually needed to play my bass note like half a second before the actual note should sound, otherwise the reverb would sustain 1 to 2 seconds within my next note.
I used a Roland Bass Cube 100W there, later a Nemesis N28s and a 12" Markbass with 300W amp.

But the greater pain was of the seniors, who all where complaining the bass was too loud for their liking,

I once played in another church somewhere in Belgium, where the top windows of the cathedral where resonating so hard that the alarm went off, and the police stopped by to check out the situation.
That was with a 1x15" + 210 Laney @200Watts (not that much you'd say).

I found that cathedrals and large church halls are the hardest to play, especially for rythm sections.
The drums just sound like one sizzling rumbling machine there, unless you play with brushes and use some dampers on the drumskins.

Funny thing was that the Roland 100W and the N28s sounded best in these cases. Any large setup was just destroying the song, as the bass trapped in these halls sounded forever...

TobiasMan

Postby TobiasMan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:12 pm

The reverb in those kinds of buildings would be very difficult to contend with. They were designed for voices and perhaps later an organ. Percussion, drums, bass, guitars not so good. :o

It would have to be a low key, low volume gig or it would turn into reverberation mud!
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, QSC PL230, WT500, XLT & XST 410s, 215)

Bassmann1968

Postby Bassmann1968 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Usually I look for the bass pipes on the organ and direct my cab the same way.
Someone had thought about the room acoustic before me ;)
Armin

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

bassmayhem

Postby bassmayhem » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Playing in churches: go one octave up if necessary, no bass boost, maybe some mid boost, use small cabs, like 112's on low volume, a lot of them...

LaneOnBass

Postby LaneOnBass » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:41 am

bassmayhem wrote:Playing in churches: go one octave up if necessary, no bass boost, maybe some mid boost, use small cabs, like 112's on low volume, a lot of them...

I bet you could get a really good deal if you ordered a six-pack all at once. :whistle:

I'm just sayin'....
Keep Thumpin'!

Lane

Knock me down, I'll stand up again
'Cause I won't give up & I won't give in

My Web Site

Subscribe on You Tube
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Bass Lessons HQ

Return to “Post Your Next Gig”