Please fix the Forum

Moderator: Bassmann1968

ProDigit

Re: Please fix the Forum

Postby ProDigit » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Oh no, they delayed the shipment of my Ashbory bass with one day... :doh:

I don't even understand how the forum can have an error that appears like this, even after it has been straightened out before.

RipVanDan

Postby RipVanDan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:41 am

ProDigit wrote:Updated Java, and website still runs the same...

May be an issue with other programs installed on your computer?
I haven't read anyone else complaining about slow loading times.

Hey PD,

Java and JavaScript are two totally different animals. Java is an actual full-blown programming language whereas JavaScript is a scripting language that allows you to do things like using mouseovers and mouse-clicks to change pictures on a page (slide show anyone?) without redrawing a whole new page. It's the part used with HTML that allows dynamic things to happen such as when you fill out forms, or use the preview button, the submit button, and the save buttons below. You can think of it as a helper for HTML. It is known as client-side based because it causes your computer (the client) to process and display the changes. So you're right to think that a slow computer would do it slower. Java on the other hand is a program that is primarily "server-side" based because the server that is hosting it is processing the changes and your computer is just showing the results instead of doing the processing to produce the results.

The errors don't show up as an alert box, so you won't normally see them. They just do crazy things like stack the links instead of making tabs. I also run an add-on in Firefox called Web Developer 1.1.8 because I was the webmaster for the Orvis Company when JavaScript first came out, and have built a number of web sites over the years. It is a tool I use to verify code before publishing a web site. This add-on has a nice error console that I can pull up to see the JavaScript errors. It brings up pages of errors on this forum. If you decide to get that add-on and install it, then go to the tools menu in Firefox and click on error console to see what I'm talking about. It pulled up 243 errors on this page. That is why this is so aggravating for me.

Dan

RipVanDan

Postby RipVanDan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:47 am

bassmayhem wrote:The problems of the industrial world:
- "Oh, no! There is no change in the coffee automat..." :shock:
- "Oh, no! The gas price goes up..." :shock:
- "Oh, no! There's a java script error in the forum..." :shock:

The problems of the third world:
- "Oh, no! They stole our children!" :shock: :shock: :shock:
- "Oh, no! We're starving!" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is all about perspectives... :think: :think: :think:

ROFLMAO :clap: :clap:

Thanks for putting things back in perspective for us Roger. Frustration over a forum not working right is pretty minuscule when compared to starving people and stolen kids. :whistle:

Dan

PS I had to snip out some of your smileys so I could put in a few of my own. 20 is the maximum number of smileys allowed in one message.

bassmayhem

Postby bassmayhem » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:37 am

I forgot these:

OH NO! I have no cable! I won't find my way back home again...! :lol: :lol: :lol:
OH NO! They just allow 20 smilies in a post on the forum! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have an idea, Dan: When we go wireless, we can tape arrows on the floor showing the right direction back to the amp. Or a pot of coffee on top of the amp so we can smell our way back. Or standing facing the amp so we always see it. Or... :think: :think: :think:

TobiasMan

Postby TobiasMan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:03 pm

bassmayhem wrote:I forgot these:

OH NO! I have no cable! I won't find my way back home again...! :lol: :lol: :lol:
OH NO! They just allow 20 smilies in a post on the forum! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have an idea, Dan: When we go wireless, we can tape arrows on the floor showing the right direction back to the amp. Or a pot of coffee on top of the amp so we can smell our way back. Or standing facing the amp so we always see it. Or... :think: :think: :think:

Now that's what I call, "thinking outside the box"! :clap:

Gotta take desperate measures in desperate times :whistle:

:think: You're right! I also just discovered that there truly is a maximum of 20 smilies allowed in a single post. Had to delete a few of BM's smilies to get this to post.
Last edited by TobiasMan on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:50 pm

I'd just invent amp laser guidance (like those used for missiles).
It keeps a green dot on the back of my head, that if I stray off too far, a tractor beam will pull me back in place 1 :D 2 :D 3 :D 4 :D 5 :D 6 :D 7 :D 8 :D 9 :D 10 :D 11 :D 12 :D 13 :D 14 :D 15 :D 16 :D 17 :D 18 :D 19 :D 20 :D
(now that's a good 20 man audience! I almost feel like in an american comic episode!)

As far as the page loading slow, it may be that same plugin you are using, a debugger plugin trying to make sense of the page errors?
You may have noticed Java (or javascript) is not my most knowledgeable field.

RipVanDan

Postby RipVanDan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:54 am

ProDigit wrote:I'd just invent amp laser guidance (like those used for missiles).
It keeps a green dot on the back of my head, that if I stray off too far, a tractor beam will pull me back in place
***snip***

(now that's a good 20 man audience! I almost feel like in an american comic episode!)

As far as the page loading slow, it may be that same plugin you are using, a debugger plugin trying to make sense of the page errors?
You may have noticed Java (or javascript) is not my most knowledgeable field.

No worries about knowing the difference between Java and JavaScript, the important thing is you know how to keep a groove going. And you may well be right that my developer plug-in is trying to de-bug it even without me calling for it.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dan

TobiasMan

Postby TobiasMan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Somebody reset something because the forum came up quickly, and correctly this morning! :dance:
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

LaneOnBass

Postby LaneOnBass » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:40 am

LOL.... you guys crack me up!

As for the problem, I have NO idea how to fix it. But... it appears that it's a problem with the cache not purging properly. I'm supposed to manually purge it every few days. When I get stacked up with work, I sometimes forget to do that, and you get the Big White Space.

I apologize for the hassle.
Keep Thumpin'!

Lane

Knock me down, I'll stand up again
'Cause I won't give up & I won't give in

My Web Site

Subscribe on You Tube
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Bass Lessons HQ

Return to “Player’s Lounge”