Please fix the Forum

Moderator: Bassmann1968

RipVanDan

Please fix the Forum

Postby RipVanDan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi guys,

Please go back through and verify your JavaScript coding on the forum. Besides failing to format the tabs on the forum so they work, the error is causing a loop . The JavaScript keeps trying to execute an invalid instruction over and over again until it finally errors out and goes on to the other section. Usually this is a simple syntax problem with a quote mark or semi-colon in the wrong place, a single quote where a double quote is needed, or perhaps a misspelling of a function name. Clearing the cache on the forum may correct the symptoms, but it's not fixing the cause of the problem. It's obvious that no one has looked at this site for at least 5 days now and it's driving me nuts.

It's more than just being unsightly with the navigation tabs displaying as individual links on individual lines against a large white background. It delays the response of each click tenfold. Thank heaven there have only been a few posts each day over the last week or I wouldn't bother reading them because it takes so long for it to cycle anything through to successful completion, and I'm on a pretty fast dual core computer so JavaScript normally executes very quickly for me. So now I wait for 30-40 seconds after clicking on a link or message to see if it will come up. I can't be the only one it's driving crazy! PLEASE FIX IT!

Rant ended.

Dan

Bassmann1968

Re: Please fix the Forum

Postby Bassmann1968 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Welcome to the club
Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

TobiasMan

Postby TobiasMan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:32 pm

:think: Has it only been 5 days???? :whistle:

Just feels like its been forever. :doh:

We need the :ugeek: to fix things for once and for all.
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:27 pm

wow!
Eventhough I have seen the white bar, and agree with you that at least after 2 weeks the issue should be resolved, I do not experience these slowdowns.
I'm on XP, firefox, and clicking a link is not delayed;goes almost instantaneously (as fast as my internet allows).

Perhaps you have other issues with your computer,and run internet explorer (just suggesting)?

RipVanDan

Postby RipVanDan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:18 am

ProDigit wrote:wow!
Eventhough I have seen the white bar, and agree with you that at least after 2 weeks the issue should be resolved, I do not experience these slowdowns.
I'm on XP, firefox, and clicking a link is not delayed;goes almost instantaneously (as fast as my internet allows).

Perhaps you have other issues with your computer,and run internet explorer (just suggesting)?

This is the only site the slow down happens on and it only happens while the JavaScript is trying to process the error. You can watch the status bar go almost all the way across and then it just hangs there...

I'm running Vista on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 5000+ operating at 2.60 ghz with 2 gb of ram. My Video Card is a Nvidia 9800 GTX+ with 512 mb of GDDR ram on the card. It's not hardly a slow machine. I'm on a DSL connection that is currently operating at 300 megabits per second. Latency is 71 milliseconds, which is plenty fast for everything else including massive multiplayer gaming.

I run both Firefox and IE 8 and prefer Firefox. Firefox is less fault tolerant than IE, but I see the same thing in IE. The main part of the website works fine, but the forum is still broken and NEEDS to be fixed.

'scuse me while I go play my bass for a few minutes to work through this frustration...

Dan

TobiasMan

Postby TobiasMan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:14 pm

My machine is pretty current as well, dual quad core Intel, 3G Ram, @ 2.40 Ghz, highspeed wireless , IE8 . . . .

The green line slowly crawls across the bottom of the screen to about 1/2 way, then it disappears and it says, "Done with errors on the page"

Only site where this happens.
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm running a 1,6Ghz core2duo intel processor, 2GB RAM, and an intel integrated 945GM graphics card. Nothing too fast.
I'm also opening this page with firefox 3.6.16, installed addons are many, but probably the only one that could affect browsing is Adblock plus.
Also an addon I don't know how I got it called Microsoft .net Framework assistant 0.0.0

Perhaps Adblock is blocking an image causing errors, but I doubt that.

I do not have Adobe Flash installed, but for some reasons the flash player does work. I know I had some issues installing it. Have no clue how that works since many of the adobe programs only work on vista or 7 and ie7+.

My browser also does not show me any scripting errors loading this page. My only visual indicator that the page is corrupt is that the toolbar is gone, and instead replaced by html links placed underneath eachother.

Perhaps there's a java difference between your and my computer, I have no java errors showing on this page.
I have seemingly an outdated java, it hasn't updated for 6 months.

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Updated Java, and website still runs the same...

May be an issue with other programs installed on your computer?
I haven't read anyone else complaining about slow loading times.

Redbutton

Postby Redbutton » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:39 pm

I've got the big white space as well.....have had it for a looooooooong time.
I'll be honest, it's prevented me from keeping up here.
"A chord is not a chord until the bass player decides which note to play" - Sting

bassmayhem

Postby bassmayhem » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:55 pm

The problems of the industrial world:
- "Oh, no! There is no change in the coffee automat..." :shock:
- "Oh, no! The gas price goes up..." :shock: :shock:
- "Oh, no! There's a java script error in the forum..." :shock: :shock: :shock:

The problems of the third world:
- "Oh, no! They stole our children!" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
- "Oh, no! We're starving!" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is all about perspectives... :think: :think: :think:

Return to “Player’s Lounge”