How would you prepare for a gig without electricity?

Moderator: Bassmann1968

ProDigit

How would you prepare for a gig without electricity?

Postby ProDigit » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:39 pm

Imagine, you're asked to play on a gig without electricity, and you don't have the money to buy a $2000 upright,
what will you do?

I can imagine the piano and guitar could bring an accoustic one with them, vocals the same.
But the bass,even an upright is not very loud.

I've looked at the possibility of a battery powered amp, but they aren't very loud neither.

What would you do?

Get an acoustic bass? How much would you spend on it, and what model would you buy,and why?

Or perhaps find a very cheap upright?

Perhaps do the bass with a bow instead of plucking, so it could sound louder?

Any other ideas?

Bassmann1968

Re: How would you prepare for a gig without electricity?

Postby Bassmann1968 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:44 am

Get an acoustic.
I got an Ibanez AE-20. I think a very good bass for the money.
Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

bassmayhem

Postby bassmayhem » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:09 am

Start singin'...
The ONLY thing that would work is a good acoustic upright, preferably with gut strings. They have a shorte tone and stronger attack: more thump and less mwwwwah. I heard a jazz trio last summer playing un-amplified. The gut stringed bass was really volumious, but it takes some strong plucking to make it...

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:15 am

So far for the upright I have a Palatino VE-550 for 580, which is pretty expensive to me just for perhaps a single accoustic gig, and due to its smaller body, I'm not convinced it'll be loud.

I tried looking up the Ibanez guitar, but could not find much about it.

Acoustic basses go for as low as $150!
But for a reasonable bass I'd not go under the Ibanez AEB10E (sold for 350).
It has a 3 band eq, shape, and metronome, as well as a phase changer. It's probably better to get one with a decent preamp, than a 150 model with just volume and tone control.
A good solution, just in case, but outside of the acoustic gig I'll probably never play this, because I don't really like to play them.

Ever played with an acoustic bass next to an acoustic guitar and some singers?
Just wondering how loud it'll be. Seems many are reviewing acoustic basses as not loud enough to keep up with an acoustic guitar...
Perhaps something like this in combination with a battery powered combo would work.

I'm afraid that any upright, how small they might be, are a bit out of my price range.
A while ago I aw musiciansfriend sold an upright, full body, for little over 600. They no longer carry it. The cheapest they carry is about twice that price.

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:22 pm

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Playma ... 1147416.gc

One of these should do the trick. I have a more expensive, quilted maple version, but they are all very loud for an acoustic bass. In fact, I used mine a while back when my band did an in-store acoustic show in Iowa for our Dean Guitars contact guy.
DNA 1350 and 410-4: Why settle for really good tone when you can have the best?

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/warhammer1

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:57 pm

The Deans only have a volume and tone control.
I've heard most people say an acoustic bass is not loud; so I would have to look at a battery powered amp, and a guitar with an onboard preamp.

The thing is, that most battery powered amps aren't very flexible soundwise, so a good preamp on a guitar (with eq) is preferred. Also, they provide tone, but no vibe; iow, they lack the fundamentals, but perhaps good enough for band play.

I never did a fully acoustic gig before, so I don't know what to expect.

For a bass there are surprisingly few battery powered amps out there.
It seems we take it for granted to have power everywhere, and for big gigs, that might be necessary; but not for smaller ones like a campfire or outside dinner band. You see them more often in Mexico than in US, but still, there's no dinner as good as an outside dinner (without bugs), and a band playing soft jazz in the background (I don't prefer aggressive mexican music).

TobiasMan

Postby TobiasMan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:55 am

Given the well known difference in power required to amplify a bass to band levels, vs a guitar amp, it is no wonder that battery powered bass amps are few and far between.

Batteries might last about 10 minutes ;)
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:41 am

My Dean acoustic has a 4 band eq, tuner and a beautiful quilted maple top. If you're interested in one ever, I could talk to my hookup and probably get you a good price.

That actually goes for everyone on here. If anyone wants a Dean (one of the good ones, not the cheap ones that Guitar Center blows out), I'll gladly pass you along and get you a killer deal.
DNA 1350 and 410-4: Why settle for really good tone when you can have the best?

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/warhammer1

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 am

OK,
In my long search I've found one regular monitor, with an expansion battery that goes for 360 (299 now at Sam Ash),
An extra battery will cost you rather steep, $150, but the active monitor should do for 2 hour playback without power.
The Samson XPL200, 250 watts program, or 400 peak, and a good 2 hours on a full charge,
freq response is not that good, 53Hz-15kHz, but it might be good enough for bass amplification in an acoustic band, or Jazz band, or for an upright sound.
With the wheels and extended handle it seems to be a great traveler too!

It may not be made for bass, but if you have the choice, this, or be left out, I'd probably prefer this!
And it is significantly louder than an upright!

The reason I chose this one, is because of the price.
Similar speakers are either heavy as lead, or expensive as hell. And this one is pretty affordable, and not bad specs wise.

Lowfreq

Postby Lowfreq » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:39 pm

So is portable gas generator out of the question here? It's tough to get decent volume out any acoustic bass and acoustic bass guitar when you add piano, some guitars, vocal, percussion, etc. Physics is a bitch.

-LF

Return to “Player’s Lounge”