Bass Overdrive/Distortion

If it's not a bass, and it's not an amp, but it's something you use when you're playing bass, talk about it here.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

rinos88

Bass Overdrive/Distortion

Postby rinos88 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Hey, guys, just wondering your thoughts on extra gain on bass. My normal tone is just that warm, cranked amp sound that is on the edge of breakup. But, I've been experimenting with different pedals lately. My band has a few songs that both guitarists go into leads and I'm wanting to hold the bottom, as usual, but also add a little bit of tasteful grind to it in order to mimic the missing guitar chug.

Has anyone here had any successful experiments with OD/Distortion?
DNA 1350 and 410-4: Why settle for really good tone when you can have the best?

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/warhammer1

jmcgliss

Re: Bass Overdrive/Distortion

Postby jmcgliss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Being a straight-to-amp guy you'll value other opinions. 'm having the best luck with a Korg Pandora PX4B. Sometimes the amp/cab modeling section is enough. The 50 preset effects are also more effective for bass than my Boss ME-50B multi-effects unit. The reason? The patches have good tone without overuse of reverb, phasing, or delay that make the bass disappear with a band. For the needs you describe, just the amp/cab options would get the job done. It's also easy to mod with different amps/cabs driving the effects section.

The down side is it's not a pedal, so I made a bracket mount for the mic stand, buit patch changes are slowe than with foot switches.
Jeff C

Original DNA Test Subject
The DNA 1350 SLAMS!!
Gigging with 2 DNA DNS-112N/8 (sometimes just 1)
WT800C | WT405 | WTX260
http://www.jcthebassman.com

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Hmm.... Too bad the switching on it isn't super fast, like a pedal. I may still have to check one out, though.

I'm hoping that David will look into the idea of putting a musical OD on the new heads.

I'd love to hear a drive feature that only affects the midrange area. From all of my experimentation, it seems that when the lows are affected, it loses solid bottom. When the highs are affected, it sounds ratty, especially through a horn.

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:25 am

I have a deltalab DBFX1 effects pedal. It does fairly well as a basic effects processor. Good for the amateurs; and for the more advanced player it's still a good practice pedal.
It far surpasses Behringer's rack effects processors, Digitech's lineup, Zoom 1 lineup, and most other generic brands out there!
I've also looked at the zoom 2 pedal. The first generation of the Zoom effects pedals are not that good. Their second version, though more expensive, is much higher in quality.
They're about on par with each other, Zoom 2 has slightly better internals, but a much more difficult patch editing system. I chose the DBFX because of sufficient quality for my needs and surpasses all competitors for the price, easy to learn, good structurized, and logical menu system.

If it ever got stolen, and I needed to buy another, I'd probably go with the zoom 2, and live with it's horrible red looks, and bad user interface; just because I'm not an easy guy neither, :) , and won't mind program complexity. It'd also allow me to better learn the differences between the both.

Both the deltalabs and the zoom 2 have an expression pedal, EQ, almost all the basic effects like reverb, flanger, chorus, echo, wah, synth lead, distortion, buzz and fuzz, etc... , but also cab and amp sim, and patchbanks. If you program the patchbank correctly you can directly engage the new patch with the press of a button, or just play at 80% of the expression pedal's volume, and when the time comes, floor the expression pedal. From the cheap (multi) effects processors, I find, those are the only 2 to look at. Or, you could go with similar priced stompbox pedals that only have 1 feat. Have you seen the Eden WTDI pedals?
Lots of people swear by Electro Harmonix XO pedals.

It's only a small step up quality wise, but a larger step money wise, and you could go with a Line 6, Yamaha, or boss effects pedal. In that price range I'd also take a look at Markbass' arsenal!

My DBFX has (on top of all the feats mentioned above) a 4 band EQ, the zoom 2 only a 3 band, but with the right cab/ampsim you can dial in some more sound varieties.
It's pretty flexible, and has 32bit ADDA converters, which should make it on par with studio VST plugins, and it kind of does.
THe AD/DA part works just like studio, but the DBFX does not have a powerful processor. So it's reverb is kind of limited, and it's wah function is copied from guitarist wah pedals (which I think is a real rippoff). If you use the wah on the DBFX , you have no bottom to the sound.

As far as distortion, I can not tell. The unit has a lot of different distortions, that most likely also do the mids you mention, but I generally don't do distortion, so I won't be able to tell if a distortion is good or bad.
I mean, they sound good to me, but I never really listen to distorted bass, so then again I don't know what to look for in a good distortion.
One thing is clear they are soft (warm) distortions, meaning they don't sound like an overdriven digital guitar amp right before blowing itself to bits!

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:04 pm

That just reminded me. I have a Zoom 505 somewhere that I haven't used in a few years. Maybe I'll have to try and look for that, once I get to feeling better. :idea:

While I'm not really big on digital effects, I'll probably test a few.

I'm actually hoping that David will do something similar to the 'Edge' control on the Nemesis line. That gave a good growl, without sounding buzzy and digital.

bassmayhem

Postby bassmayhem » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:52 pm

The best bass overdrive there is, is the EBS MultiDrive. It won't scoop out the bottom, it is fat, fat, fat...

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 am

My band ended up hooking up with Visual Sound. On their recommendation, I ordered their Angry Fuzz pedal. It is wicked on bass. It also has a weird octave up effect that sounds cool at lower settings.

I'd love to try one of those EBS pedals. They actually have a few that I'd love to mess with, but nobody near me carries them.

Return to “Everything Else Gear”