DNA and PA setup

If it's not a bass, and it's not an amp, but it's something you use when you're playing bass, talk about it here.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

overdog

DNA and PA setup

Postby overdog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:56 am

I posted this the other day, but it is now not visible... Probably nuked it instead of submit... :doh:

Now, can we use a DNA cab with a PA system for the lows? Common sense says yes. I have not setup a PA and board from scratch before.

This would be a good way to use a pair of 410's or 212's (depending upon the size of the venue and supporting power)
- John

If you buy it right the first time, you have nothing to be ashamed of!

Bass: Roscoe SKB 3005 - Sculpted quilt maple top on a swamp ash body. Tobaccoburst finish. 35" scale 24 fret maple neck. Bartolini pickups & 3 band preamp.

LaneOnBass

Re: DNA and PA setup

Postby LaneOnBass » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:45 am

If you're asking if you could use the 410s as subwoofers, so to speak... yeah, that could be interesting. Just understand that you're not going to shake the earth in quite the same way a pair of 2x18 subs would go it. In my mind, however, that's a PLUS, not a negative.

If you try it out, let us know how it goes, OK?
Keep Thumpin'!

Lane

Knock me down, I'll stand up again
'Cause I won't give up & I won't give in

My Web Site

Subscribe on You Tube
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Bass Lessons HQ

overdog

Postby overdog » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:25 pm

tks..

So if the PA sub can support a 4 ohm load, using a pair of 12's or 15's would provide a better overall sound, whereas the 410's would provide the volume in a BIG hall.

Just curious, which is why I was asking...
- John

If you buy it right the first time, you have nothing to be ashamed of!

Bass: Roscoe SKB 3005 - Sculpted quilt maple top on a swamp ash body. Tobaccoburst finish. 35" scale 24 fret maple neck. Bartolini pickups & 3 band preamp.

TobiasMan

Postby TobiasMan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Sounds like an interesting concept.

If you are talking about a fairly small PA in a fairly small venue, a pair of DNA 112s might work OK. They would likely be fairly loud (but not like a 410 as they have only 100db sensitivity vs the 410's 106db!) but not move a lot of air. They are 8 ohm, rated at 450 watts (900 watts peak) so could be powered by normal sized amps.

The DNS 115 would move more air and four of them (2 on each side - 4 ohm load on the amp channel) would likely move a fair amount of air. Again, they are rated at 450/900 watts.

A rig with two, or better yet, four 410s, would be loud, and move more air than four 15s and require a significantly more powerful amp to drive them (1400 watts/2800 watts peak) - more in line with a larger FOH PA system.
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

Return to “Everything Else Gear”