Lakland sold to Hanson Guitars

This is the folder for discussions about basses. Not about playing bass... but about the instruments themselves.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Re: Lakland sold to Hanson Guitars

Postby Bassmann1968 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:44 am

lloll lloll :D
Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

Redbutton

Postby Redbutton » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:34 pm

jmcgliss wrote:No need to worry. Lakland was purchased by the founders of Hanson Electronics who were also equity partners in Lakland for over 10 years. Hanson has been building the Lakland and Chi-Sonic pickups in-house for several years now. They are as committed to quality and customer service as Dan Lakin. You can get more info at the Lakland Owner's Group site.

With Dan leaving the company, I'd say that's cause to worry.
"A chord is not a chord until the bass player decides which note to play" - Sting

LaneOnBass

Postby LaneOnBass » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:09 am

Fair point, David, especially with what we've seen, eh? But I'll offer a couple of (hopefully) positive points:

1. Hanson has been working with Lakland for quite a while, and some would say they are somewhat responsible for the growth of the brand.

2. The folks who run the build shop are still there.

It will be interesting to see how things develop. Like many, I am hopeful the company will not only survive, but thrive. I'm definitely rooting for "thrive".
Keep Thumpin'!

Lane

Knock me down, I'll stand up again
'Cause I won't give up & I won't give in

My Web Site

Subscribe on You Tube
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Bass Lessons HQ

Redbutton

Postby Redbutton » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi Lane -- let's hope so! All these buyouts and takeovers....from what we've seen, they are typically bumpy and sometimes fatally disastrous. Perhaps this one will be different.
"A chord is not a chord until the bass player decides which note to play" - Sting

LaneOnBass

Postby LaneOnBass » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:40 am

Redbutton wrote:Hi Lane -- let's hope so! All these buyouts and takeovers....from what we've seen, they are typically bumpy and sometimes fatally disastrous. Perhaps this one will be different.

Hah! Ya think?!?! LOL.... We have certainly seen the whole bumpy and disastrous thing, haven't we?

My main concern here is the US-built models. I think the Asian imports will be fine, as it will still be the same factory, specs, materials, etc.

Now, the US ones... that could be different.
Keep Thumpin'!

Lane

Knock me down, I'll stand up again
'Cause I won't give up & I won't give in

My Web Site

Subscribe on You Tube
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Bass Lessons HQ

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Well, from my personal experience, company buyouts really suck. So, who knows on this one.

Example A: I was working for over 8 years for a company that was doing the logistical work inside of Caterpillar. I had worked my way up to really good pay. I got laid off in February of 2009.

Another company bought out the contract and called us all back a year later into our same jobs. They cut my pay by over $5 an hour, have useless benefits and horrible treatment.

Example B: After quitting the company I was speaking about, I got a job that pays really well about 3 months ago. Things were GREAT! After being there for 2 weeks, they come out and say how great business is going, so we all got a 5% raise. THEN, about a month ago, a much larger company that is a competitor from across town comes and shoots the owners an offer that they can't refuse, in order to sell the company out.

This happened within the last month. Instantly, the new owners tick everyone off by changing our schedules, promising a change in the benefit plan (for the worse) and treat us like garbage. For some reason unknown to us, all of the bosses that were awesome before are now really grumpy all the time and change the subject whenever we mention anything about the new ownership.

Now that everyone is mad, the quality and quantity of work has gone way down.
DNA 1350 and 410-4: Why settle for really good tone when you can have the best?

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/warhammer1

JTE

Postby JTE » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 pm

First, this (yeah, I know I'm opening an old thread, but still) happened quite a while ago- April 30, 2010. And if you know much about Lakland, they've had financial problems all along. There was an interesting bit on their website for a long time (from The Wall Street Journal, I believe) that detailed the financial struggles of the company. And here's a good chunk of the press release...

"Former Lakland executive John Pirruccello has been named President of the newly formed Lakland Guitars, LLC, and will be responsible for managing the company's daily operations and future development effective immediately. John assumes these duties in addition to his position as head of the Hanson Musical Instruments guitar division.

Pirruccello's background includes 11 years at Lakland as Global Sales Director as well as the company's Chief Operations Officer. He contributed greatly to the development of current Lakland products, including the "Skyline Series" line of bass guitars; and was responsible for expanding Lakland's dealer and distribution network around the world. “JP” is also a prominent Chicago musician that has performed, recorded and or collaborated with the likes of Keith Richards, Staind, Alejandro Escovedo, Wilco, and others. John will oversee the seamless transition at Lakland's present facilities in Chicago. Lakland Guitars, LLC is retaining current luthiers and support staff.

Hanson Musical Instruments wants to thank Lakland founder Dan Lakin for his vision and stewardship of the Lakland brand, which he founded in 1994 with Hugh McFarland.

Hanson Musical Instruments has been Lakland's primary supplier of bass pickups and preamp products since 2005. The principals of Hanson Musical Instruments, LTD were previously shareholders of Lakland from 2000 until 2009."

Note that this is way different from USM taking over a company, different than CBS buying Fender, and different than a Brazilian carpet and beer company taking over Chicago Musical Instruments (who owned Gibson Guitars until about 1969). This is people who were not only managing the company, but instrumental in very positive changes the company had made taking over ownership. They already were managing it, now they also own it. This is MUCH more like when Bill Schultz (who had been president of Fender under CBS for about four years) putting together a consortium of investors to buy Fender from CBS. The man who was responsible for the greatly improved quality and for the introduction of the Vintage Series headed up the management team that started to turn the company around while still under CBS' ownership. He then bought the company from CBS.

rinos88-
Dude- you're from Morton?! I'm in Bloomington. I worked for Unit/GATX when we ran the Caterpillar Inbound Logistics Center (ILC, facility 99) from 1988-2005. We lost that business because CLS was a direct competitor, and yet Cat central purchasing had outsourced the ILC to someone other than CLS. Anyway, that's a long time ago. Do you gig around central Illinois?

jte

Return to “Basses”