Ned Steinberger has done it again...

This is the folder for discussions about basses. Not about playing bass... but about the instruments themselves.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

bassmayhem

Ned Steinberger has done it again...

Postby bassmayhem » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:43 am

Bassmann1968

Re: Ned Steinberger has done it again...

Postby Bassmann1968 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:40 am

Damn,
that looks like my new bass.
THX for sharing Roger.
Armin

First european, first german, first old world and first multiple cab user :happy-smileygiantred:

1350, signed by David!
2xDNS112/8
1xDNS410/4

TobiasMan

Postby TobiasMan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:24 pm

One of the few headless basses that look "right".

Noticed the wall full of his EUBs behind him. Took my "Christmas present to myself" NXT5 to band practice last week and it went well - band liked it, a LOT! :dance: Had to pick up a Fishman acoustic preamp to pull the piezo signal up to full strength for my amp.

Still getting used to the extra scale length and the impact on note intervals on the neck. :violin:
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

bassmayhem

Postby bassmayhem » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Well, I first bought one of the Chinese shit basses they sold initially. That series was eliminated and replaced by the NXT, which hopefully is a much better instrument. The fingerboard cracked and splintered completely after two days. It just dried and died. I returned it and got a CR4M instead. The first one had a bad neck (heck, it is only neck) that got an unadjustable backbow. I returned that one, got another with a fingerboard like the surfs at Waikiki beach. That one got returned direct in the shop. Then I had to wait three(!!!) months before I got one that was good.

There was a big difference in feel and playability between the shitty Chinese crap bass and the real deal. Also there was/is a huge difference in volume, tone, enough output to overdrive most amps. The downside is that it eats 9V batteries, two at a time, in 40 hours. I wish they would supply some kind of phantom power update...

I also owned one of the first Steinberger L2 basses in Europe, with a four digit serial number beginning with 02xx. It now lives its retired (from me, that is) life in Berlin. Maybe I'll have me one of these new, unless they make them with narrow string spacing...

TobiasMan

Postby TobiasMan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Sorry you had such a bad experience. The low cost, Chinese made experiment was not a success. Had this NXT5 since before Christmas and been playing it every day. This one is built in the Czech republic, not China. The neck is straight and true, no signs of any cracking or anything wrong, in spite of it being the dead of winter here (dry, dry interior air!).

Most of what I have seen on this unit is that while it is not Steinberger's top of the line EUB (they run to $5800 for the EU5) I'm finding it a very nice unit, good tone, good neck. It is a passive piezo pickup so eats no batteries. Just needed a bit of signal boost to run it at the same gain level that I use for my other basses. That way I can switch basses without a lot of knob twisting.

I'm happy - so far ;)
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

kevor

Postby kevor » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Interesting bass - Ned lives in Maine and the guy I played with, Dave Rowe, spends time visiting Ned and a year or so ago I tried the first of the prototypes for that bass he just showed, although it was an all wood bass. It played well and more importantly sounded good. I've never been a fan of his electrics - I had a Synapse with the piezo and it played well but the sound didn't work for me. I then got the YoMusic XQ 25A with the Moses graphite neck and that was better, but still was missing something so I finally went back to a wood bass. Another former band member (who lives down the road - not literally) started playing one of his NS fiddles - his current band is called Perpetual eMotion and they do the contra dance circuit and are worth checking out.

I had the chance to meet NEd for a few minutes at one of our shows when the fiddle player was in the band. Ned is a very nice, quiet guy.
Kevin O'Reilly
"I'm so cutting edge I fell off"
DNA-800, 2 DNA 112C, Warwick Corvette ProLine 5 (flame maple), Lakland Skyline 44-64, BOSS GT-10B, Digitech Jamman Solo

Return to “Basses”