Strings - DR Black Beauties

This is the folder for discussions about basses. Not about playing bass... but about the instruments themselves.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

overdog

Strings - DR Black Beauties

Postby overdog » Sun May 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Well, I just purchased my first set of DR Black Beauties for my Roscoe.

What a difference! Not harsh on the fingers, and the coating does NOT impact the clarity of the tone. Wow!

A bit expensive...
but worth it!
- John

If you buy it right the first time, you have nothing to be ashamed of!

Bass: Roscoe SKB 3005 - Sculpted quilt maple top on a swamp ash body. Tobaccoburst finish. 35" scale 24 fret maple neck. Bartolini pickups & 3 band preamp.

TobiasMan

Re: Strings - DR Black Beauties

Postby TobiasMan » Sun May 15, 2011 6:15 pm

I've been using them on my Tobias 6 string for several years now. Feel good, last very well and sound great. :D

0.30 to .130 (the .130 is a special order but gives a nicely taut B string on a 34" scale bass)
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

LaneOnBass

Postby LaneOnBass » Thu May 19, 2011 2:13 am

I switched to Black Beauties shortly after they came out, and immediately fell in love. To me, they sounded like a set of Hi Beams after they'd settled in and lost their out-of-the-wrapper harshness. Then, instead of changing them every week (with the day or two showing an audible difference), I changed them every month... or two. And that was with 5-6 gigs a week.

And, as was pointed out, they feel good under the fingers. Plus, they look awesome on black basses! :D

I've been a DR fan for more than 18 years, and bought them in stores for more than a decade before I entered into an endorsement relationship with them. I don't use anything else, and seriously doubt I ever will.
Keep Thumpin'!

Lane

Knock me down, I'll stand up again
'Cause I won't give up & I won't give in

My Web Site

Subscribe on You Tube
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Bass Lessons HQ

overdog

Postby overdog » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:42 am

I also like the difference in the string thickness.

On the original, the B was 125, the E was 105, and the A was 85. This is how the DR Black Beauties are. The set I just replaced was by D'Addario, and the low 3 thickness were 130, 100, and 80. The result was that the low B was way to big and heavy. With this change, the balance between using the B, E, and A strings is much better. The B is much tighter and still a BIG and FULL sound. It lost the heavy thud.

It is worth the higher cost. Now to try and find a more cost effective source. :handgestures-thumbupright:
- John

Bass: Roscoe SKB 3005 - Sculpted quilt maple top on a swamp ash body. Tobaccoburst finish. 35" scale 24 fret maple neck. Bartolini pickups & 3 band preamp.

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:14 pm

Bout the thickness,
it may work well in your particular setting, but some basses already give a massive Low B, so it might not work well for their basses.

Especially on cheap basses at times cheap stings sound best. I remember a bass where I did not want to hear any brightness on, and putting the cheapest strings in the store on them (Hartke at that time) made them growl in the mids more, compared to the daddario's that where on them; The mids turned out to make this bass sound much better!).
They did not sound good on my Toby bass though.

overdog

Postby overdog » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:31 pm

The DR's that I have on now are the same thickness that my Roscoe came with from the factory. The D'Addaro replacement set is what the store gave me when I purchased my Roscoe. I did not like the way it sounded. I really had to tweak the tuner (on the ax, Barts) to get rid of the heavy dominant low B. With the DR Black Beauties, no such issue. My low B is big, right, tight, but not overly dominant. Now it is a perfect accent!

I love my Roscoe and my Black Beauties! A serious convert!
- John

kevor

Postby kevor » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Although I've been using Elixirs for a while (4-string set and I buy a separate .125 B-string) I used the reds back a few years ago and liked those a lot. I've toyed with getting into the Black Beauties as they are less expensive than the Elixirs I use but I found the reds did not last as long as the Elixirs for me.
Kevin O'Reilly
"I'm so cutting edge I fell off"
DNA-800, 2 DNA 112C, Warwick Corvette ProLine 5 (flame maple), Lakland Skyline 44-64, BOSS GT-10B, Digitech Jamman Solo

Return to “Basses”