VIDEO: My Spector NS-6XL/P Custom

This is the folder for discussions about basses. Not about playing bass... but about the instruments themselves.

Moderator: Bassmann1968

TobiasMan

Re: VIDEO: My Spector NS-6XL/P Custom

Postby TobiasMan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Mo' basses eh, Lane. :dance:

Not hard to end up with a lot. Not sure how many is too many, either :think:

Maybe a backup to the backup? :whistle:
Feel that bottom, eh?
Steinberger NXT5 EUB, MTD 535 fretless, Tobias Killer B6, 72 Fender P,
David's "pre-DNA" rig (Navs, Qsc PL230, XLT & XST 410s, WT500)

rinos88

Postby rinos88 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Whenever I'm asked the question of how many basses I really need, the answer is always the same. Just one more!
DNA 1350 and 410-4: Why settle for really good tone when you can have the best?

https://store.cdbaby.com/m/cd/warhammer1

LaneOnBass

Postby LaneOnBass » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:55 am

Yeah, even though I just sold my Renaissance fretless 5-string and baritone guitar, I have several basses in my collection. However, I only use TWO of them... the Spectors.

In fact, if anyone is interested, I'd be willing to let go my Fender Mike Dirnt P-bass (custom pickguard) and Washburn semihollow body -- trans black, with piezo bridge... one of only two produced. The other one is owned by Stuart Hamm.

I'm keeping my porch bass - A Fender ABG - and my acoustic/electric guitar.
Keep Thumpin'!

Lane

Knock me down, I'll stand up again
'Cause I won't give up & I won't give in

My Web Site

Subscribe on You Tube
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Bass Lessons HQ

Lowfreq

Postby Lowfreq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Lane,

I had few questions about your NS from a fellow Spector owner:

1) Does the bridge saddles on your NS have screw\intonation adjusters or just the 'side lock' set screw\no screw design like they do now on most of their bass line.

2) Do your require a tapered core 'B' strings to get through the back of the bridge?

3) Lastly, what preamp is in your bass?

Thanks.
-LF

LaneOnBass

Postby LaneOnBass » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:31 pm

Hey, bro... to answer your questions

1. Yes, it has the side lock feature. It was a bit weird when I first got it, but I'm used to it now, as is my technician.

2. No taper core needed. I use standard DR Black Beauties.

3. I'm not sure. I think it was Spector's own design, but can't say for certain.
Keep Thumpin'!

Lane

My Web Site

Subscribe on You Tube
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Bass Lessons HQ

Wes

Postby Wes » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:19 pm

I absolutely love my Spector. I only need a fretless - to make a set - and I'm good! :)

ProDigit

Postby ProDigit » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Lane, the black bass you always had on video's, you said on the prev forum it was a custom made bass,
is there a similar bass available online like that?

I thought (and could be mistaken, forgive me if I am) that it was priced around 650 to 699, at least the bass that was similar, am I right?

I forgot which site I found it on, but remember you on the old forum posting some data on it, and if I'm correct you prefer this bass over the others you are selling; why if I may ask?

Is it something in the tone, or way of playing, or just the satisfaction to know that a certain 'mid-class'-priced bass sounds and plays as good or even better as the more expensive models?

Just wondering...

LaneOnBass

Postby LaneOnBass » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 am

Hey, PD. To answer your questions:

No, it is most definitely NOT the $650-699 bass. This is a US-built unit...manufactured before Spector was doing any overseas models. The retail on this bass was somewhere around SIX THOUSAND.

There are two possible options to get a bass close to this one:

1. Buy a US-built NS-6XL/P - This would have everything my bass does, EXCEPT the fiber optic neck dots, which are no longer available.

2. Get the European version, which will be significantly less expensive, but the wood won't be AAAA grade. For many, this will not matter.

Yes, you are correct that this bass -- The Voice, as I call it -- is my absolute favorite, and has been ever since I got it just over 16 years ago. The neck feels perfect in my hands, even though they are on the small side. The fretboard -- spacing, set-up, etc. -- feels very good... spacing wide enough that I can dig in, yet close enough that I don't feel as if I'm stretching. And the tone is exactly what I wanted - and still want! For most of my work, I have the mag pickup balance control dead center, and no tone manipulation. I mean, just like that, it's everything I want for most work. Then, I can roll on the piezo bridge unit for extra growl and presence. I can bump bass and/or treble for a quick tone change.

If I could only have one bass for the rest of my life, this would be the one.

Now, the second Spector in my arsenal, which I purchased over last summer, is my 4-string (for work with Ryan), and my back-up. I'll actually be getting another 4-string as I want a back-up for Ryan's work, and so I can leave the Voice at home. I got the 4-string becasue Jerrfy Scheff would slap me silly for playing a 6-string on Elvis music. :lol:

As for the other basses - I sold my Renaissance 5-string fretless and baritone guitar, because I just didn't need them. I still have a Washburn semi-hollow body (prototype w/ piezo bridge), and a Fender Mike Dirnt P that I'm looking to sell. Again, I just don't need them, and will not use them on-stage or in the studio. I'll sell the Washburn for $750, the Dirnt for $300, if anyone is interested.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask more!
Keep Thumpin'!

Lane

My Web Site

Subscribe on You Tube
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Bass Lessons HQ

Return to “Basses”